CALL FOR APPLICATIONS—DUE SUNDAY, MARCH 18 (NEW DEADLINE!)
The Denver Art Museum is looking for its next Creative-in-Residence to work with the museum and its visitors from April to September 2018.
The Denver Art Museum (DAM) is committed to expanding the ways we deliver dynamic and engaging programming for visitors. We are also committed to developing ongoing connections with Denver’s creative community. Our programming has grown to include working with artists and creatives who play a critical role in reimagining the museum environment, inspiring visitors to explore their own creativity and, in the process, inviting museum visitors into conversations that ignite new connections between art objects and the world around us.
This residency invites the DAM and our Creative-in-Residence to work together and, most important, to work with DAM visitors. The intention of this residency is to expand and extend the practices of established creatives through the opportunity of working within the unique museum environment.
The residency is six months in total. The beginning of the residency is devoted to exploring the museum environment and developing ideas. The subsequent months of the residency will focus on activity within our gallery spaces and direct engagement with our visitors.
Our ideal Creative-in-Residence is:
• Eager to explore their practice with and alongside DAM visitors
• Able to use their practice to create opportunities for conversation and collaboration
• Curious about how their practice will operate within the museum environment
• Excited to use their practice to explore the DAM’s unique collection of artworks and physical spaces
• A natural collaborator with the ability to be flexible in the face of practical challenges
• A confident communicator
The DAM will provide the resident with the following:
• A payment of $7,500
• A $2,000 materials stipend to cover all material and collaborative expenses related to the residency
• A yearlong membership to the DAM
• Access to the professional expertise of a range of DAM staff members
• Opportunities to participate in a variety of public programs at the DAM
Please note that there is no dedicated space for the creation or storage of artwork within the museum building. All residency activity should be integrated into the gallery spaces within the Hamilton Building and our outdoor space.
We are looking for creatives from any discipline who:
• Have a demonstrable interest in participatory and/or socially engaged practice
• Currently live and work in the Denver metro area and can commute to the museum during the entire residency period
Submissions should include the following:
1. A brief written statement that addresses the following three questions:
• What is your creative practice and how could it grow and expand with this residency? (500 word limit)
• How does engagement and participation inform your work? (350 word limit)
• What excites you most about working in a museum environment? (350 word limit)
2. An up-to-date résumé or CV
3. A maximum of 10 images of your work (links or embedded jpegs no larger than 2 MB each, or video links)
4. Names and contact details of two professional references
Please submit the above information in a single PDF document.
Submissions will be reviewed by a panel of DAM staff, a former Creative-in-Residence, and two external Denver-based arts professionals.
If short-listed, you will be invited for an interview with members of our panel. In this interview, you will be asked to provide a short
demonstration of your practice and engagement style.
Final selection will depend on the following criteria:
• The strength of your written statement
• Your interest in participatory practice and in actively engaging DAM visitors in your work
• Your interest in working with DAM staff and with the collection material on view
• The quality of your previous work
• Your interview
• Your professional references
Please email your application to email@example.com
Deadline for applications: March 18, 2018 at midnight
Notification of short-listing: March 29, 2018
Interviews: April 5-11, 2018
Start of residency: April 23, 2018
Completion of residency: September 2018
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your application and/or with specific questions about this opportunity.
Visit denverartmuseum.org/creatives for further details on the Creative-in-Residence program
Background image: Creatives-in-residence alumni Nathan Hall and Arthur Williams collaborating in a performance at Untitled Final Friday at the Denver Art Museum.