CALL FOR APPLICATIONS—DUE FRIDAY, JULY 21 BY NOON
The Denver Art Museum is now looking for its next Creative-in-Residence to work alongside staff and visitors September through November 2017.
The Denver Art Museum (DAM) is committed to expanding the ways in which we deliver engaging and relevant programming for our visitors and to developing ongoing connections with the creative community of Denver. Our programming has grown to include working with artists and creatives who play a critical role in reimagining the museum environment, inspiring visitors to explore their own creativity and, in the process, inviting them into conversations that ignite new connections between artworks and the world around us.
This residency invites the DAM and our Creative-in-Residence to work collaboratively with each other and, most importantly, with our visitors. The intention of this residency is to expand and extend the practice of established creatives through the opportunity of working within the unique museum environment and inviting multiple perspectives into the creation of their work.
Our Creative-in-Residence will work onsite at the DAM to develop participatory work that utilizes their unique talents and vision. Our expectation is that our Creative-in-Residence helps to transform visitor experiences by stimulating active participation in their creative process.
The residency is three months in duration with the first month devoted to working collaboratively with DAM staff to develop ideas for creating work that can be delivered in the museum, with our visitors, during the remaining months of the residency.
We are now looking for a creative who is:
- Excited by the potential of working collaboratively with our staff and visitors
- Experienced in working with the public through their creative practice
- Able to work with the DAM for approximately 40 days over the period September–November 2017 (dates to be agreed on selection)
In exchange for this commitment, the DAM will provide the resident with:
- An honorarium of $7,500
- A $2,000 materials stipend to cover all material expenses related to the residency
- A yearlong free membership to the DAM
- Access to professional expertise of a range of DAM staff members
- Dedicated program space within Denver Art Museum’s Hamilton Building for the duration of residency
- A mentor currently working in Denver’s creative community
- Opportunities to participate in variety of public programs at the DAM
We are looking for creatives from any discipline who:
- Are interested and experienced in live and interactive programming
- Have an interest in participatory and/or socially engaged practice
- Currently live and work in the Denver metro area and have the ability to commute to the museum during the entire residency period
Submissions should include:
1) A brief written statement that addresses the following three questions:
- What is your creative practice and how could it develop with this residency? (500 words max)
- How does engagement and participation inform your work? (350 words max)
- What excites you most about collaborating with the DAM’s staff and visitors? (350 words max)
2) An up-to-date resume or CV
3) A maximum of 10 images of your work (links or embedded jpegs no larger than 2mb each or video links)
4) Names and contact details of two professional references
Please submit the above information in a single PDF document.
Submissions will be reviewed by a jury panel comprised of DAM staff, a former Creative-in-Residence, and an external arts professional working in Denver.
If short-listed, you will be invited for an interview with members of our jury panel.
Final selection will be based on the following criteria:
- The strength of your written statement
- Your interest and ability in working collaboratively with DAM staff and visitors
- The quality of your previous work
- Your interview
- Your professional references
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for Applications—Noon, July 21, 2017
Notification of Short-Listing—By August 11, 2017
Interviews—The Week of August 14, 2017
Start of Residency—September 1, 2017
Completion of Residency—End of November 2017
If you have any questions regarding this opportunity, please contact Laura Baxter, adult programs manager at Denver Art Museum (email@example.com).
For further details on the Creative-in-Residence program, please visit denverartmuseum.org/creatives.
Background image: Creatives-in-residence alumni Nathan Hall and Arthur Williams collaborating in a performance at Untitled Final Friday at the Denver Art Museum.