The Denver Art Museum’s Art of Summer will kick off June 2, 2018, on Free First Saturday, with free general admission, access to six vibrant exhibitions and hands-on programming.
Martin Plaza will be activated for visitors and passersby to experience Mexico City-based Héctor Esrawe and Ignacio Cadena’s La Musidora musical chairs installation and British-based artist Stuart Semple’s environmentally-friendly Happy Clouds. The cloud release is part of Happy City: Art for the People, a citywide art intervention with the purpose of breaking down personal, emotional and social barriers while nurturing individual and collective wellbeing. #ArtofSummer2018
WHAT: Art of Summer Kick Off
WHEN: Saturday, June 2, 2018 - 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Happy Clouds launch will take place 3–5 p.m.
WHERE: Denver Art Museum, 100 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy.
The following Art of Summer exhibitions and hands-on programming are also free for youth 18 and under every day thanks to the Free for Kids program:
- COMING SOON: New Territory: Landscape Photography Today, which will feature more than 80 contemporary landscape photographs that challenge the boundaries of traditional landscape photography, opens June 24.
- Jeffrey Gibson: Like a Hammer showcases 65 figurative works, text-based wall hangings, beaded punching bags, painted works on rawhide and more.
- Drawn to Glamour: Fashion Illustrations by Jim Howard presents the award-winning editorial work by Denver-based artist Jim Howard through a display of more than 100 works on paper.
- Stampede: Animals in Art offers a look at how animals have captivated artists throughout history with a presentation of more than 300 of the museum’s collection objects.
- Ganesha: The Playful Protector is on view in collaboration with the National Museum of Cambodia in Phnom Penh, featuring a statue of Ganesha made in the 600s to 700s as the centerpiece.
- Past the Tangled Present is an interactive and whimsical installation born of imagination by Denver artist Jaime Molina.
- Eyes On: Xiaoze Xie is an exhibition of forbidden books in China profiled through still life paintings, video and installations.
- Mapping Myths & Monsters Create-n-Take, Hamilton Building, Level 3 (March 3–July 15, 2018)
Discover a map filled with mythical monsters and create creatures of your own.
- Carry Me Close Create-n-Take, Hamilton Building, Level 1 (May 19–July 20, 2018)
Get to know the work of artist Jeffrey Gibson by creating a project inspired by his Denver Art Museum exhibition, Jeffrey Gibson: Like a Hammer.
- Photo Finish Create-n-Take, Martin Plaza (June 2–Aug. 19, 2018)
Experiment with surprising techniques and unexpected materials to create your own customized photographs.
- 3-D Studio features weekend artist demonstrations and design thinking skills that inspire 3-D artmaking.
- Online Newsroom: www.denverartmuseum.org/press
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/denverartmuseum
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/denverartmuseum
- Instagram: https://instagram.com/denverartmuseum
The Denver Art Museum is an educational, nonprofit resource that sparks creative thinking and expression through transformative experiences with art. Its holdings reflect the city and region—and provide invaluable ways for the community to learn about cultures from around the world. Denver metro citizens support Scientific and Cultural Facilities District (SCFD), a unique funding source serving hundreds of metro Denver arts, culture and scientific organizations. For museum information, call 720-865-5000 or visit www.denverartmuseum.org.Download PDF of press release.