Native Arts Artist-in-Residence
North Building, Level 3
Action X Community X Togetherness
Gregg Deal, Walt Pourier, Melanie Yazzie
May 6–September 10, 2017
Former Native Arts Artists-in-Residence Melanie Yazzie, Gregg Deal, and Walt Pourier are returning to the museum for a one-of-a-kind collaborative project called Action X Community X Togetherness.
For the artists, the alumni residency offers a unique opportunity for cocreating. Though they work with their own unique mediums and styles, the trio was quick to find a central theme for this residency: art as a call to action and a catalyst for change.
Their exploration of this theme will drive a variety of joint projects including talks, tours, and workshops at Untitled Final Fridays (May 26, June 30, July 28, August 25), demonstrations at Free First Saturdays (May 6, June 3), and hands-on artmaking at the Friendship Powwow and American Indian Cultural Celebration (September 9). Melanie Yazzie also will hold open studio hours from 11 am to 3 pm on June 10, 13 and 17.
Image (top, L to R): Gregg Deal, Walt Pourier, Melanie Yazzie
About the Program
About the Native Arts Artist-in-Residence Program
This program showcases and celebrates the work of contemporary native artists, highlighting the ongoing creativity and artistic diversity of the American Indian community with an aim towards engaging museum visitors through each artist’s creative processes. The program kicked off in 2012 with sculptor, painter, and printmaker Melanie Yazzie, and has gone on to host many established and up-and-coming artists working across media.
Previous Native Arts Artists-in-Residence
- Melanie Yazzie: 6/2/12-7/29/12
- Walt Pourier: 12/1/12-3/10/13
- Will Wilson: 3/23/13-3/31/13
- Marie Watt: 5/19/13-10/27/13
- Linda Aguilar: 11/19/13-2/2/14
- Rose Simpson: 2/25/14-4/27/14
- Jeffrey Gibson: 7/19/14-10/26/14
- Kevin Pourier: 1/20/15-3/15/15
- Postcommodity: 3/20/15-5/25/15
- Tom Haukaas: 6/6/15-9/27/15
- Gregg Deal: 10/24/15-1/31/16
- Jan Jacobs: 2/13/16-5/15/16
- Wendy Red Star: November-March 2017
Powwow Regalia Studio, Summer 2016
- Mary Young Bear, Men’s Woodland Style Dance: 6/9–6/19/2016
- Alistair Bane, Men’s Straight Dance: 7/7–7/17/2016
- Verla Howell, Men’s Fancy Feather Dance: 7/21–7/31 and 8/4–8/7/2016
- Alistair Bane, Men’s Straight Dance: 8/11–8/14/2016
- Andy Cozad, Gourd Dance: 9/1–9/4 and 9/15–9/18/2016
Native Arts Artist-in-Residence Jan Jacobs
The Native Arts Artist-in-Residence program is generously supported by the Virginia W. Hill Foundation.
Former Native Arts Artists-in-Residence Melanie Yazzie, Gregg Deal, and Walt Pourier are returning to the museum for a one-of-a-kind collaborative project called Action X Community X Togetherness. More