Drop-In Drawing Sessions
(Re)kindle your creative passions in these informal sketching sessions on the second Tuesday of every month. Take inspiration from the galleries with the help of a DAM art instructor and tackle a new drawing topic every month.
- February 11: Narrative – Consider the role of narrative in art by mixing and matching artworks in the modern & contemporary and African galleries to create an original drawing.
- March 11: Color – Taking inspiration from artworks in the Western art galleries, discover properties of light, subtractive mixing, and layering techniques while drawing in different color schemes.
- April 8: Realism and Abstraction – Experience the difference between rendering in realistic versus abstract manners by creating two different versions of one drawing in the modern & contemporary and oceanic art galleries.
- May 13: Animals – Use the entire session to render your choice of animal from the Asian art collection, focusing on its features, textures and tonal values
- June 10: Symbols of the West – Draw inspiration from the bronze sculptures in the historic Western American art galleries. Using toned paper, explore value and learn how to draw metallic subject matters.
- July 8: Plein-Air Painting – Venture outside onto the museum’s plaza and experience plein-air painting with an introduction to watercolor techniques.
Meet in the El Pomar Grand Atrium in the Hamilton Building, Level 1. All experience levels welcome.
Bring your own supplies or use one of our communal sketch pads. If you bring your own supplies, please note that only sketchpads/notebooks 14 x 17 inches or smaller, graphite pencils, and kneaded erasers are permitted in the galleries. We will also provide these supplies if you do not have your own.
Adult programs are supported by William Randolph Hearst Endowment for Educational Programs, Nancy Benson Educational Endowment Fund, CenturyLink Endowment, James Kelley and Amie Knox Education Endowment Fund, and the citizens who support the Scientific and Cultural Facilities District (SCFD).