Becoming Van Gogh Videos, Preparation Highlights & More
The past few months were incredibly exciting here at the Denver Art Museum. Becoming Van Gogh received overwhelming support from the community, and visitors came from near and far. Due to visitor demand, we were able to add more than 200 additional hours to the exhibition, which is the equivalent of extending an extra month. The final weekend of Becoming Van Gogh, we pulled our first “all-nighter” since the opening of the Hamilton Building and remained open for 40 hours straight.
The visibility and buzz this show has brought to the DAM as a whole is unprecedented. Here is a list of Becoming Van Gogh video, slideshow, and preparation highlights, in no particular order:
- The Wall Street Journal chronicled curator Timothy Standring’s 7-year journey to create Becoming Van Gogh in Judith H. Dobrzynski’s A Show Built Stroke by Stroke.
- In The New York Times, Ted Loos examines the challenges of putting together any Van Gogh exhibition.
- Ray Rinaldi of The Denver Post refers to Becoming Van Gogh as a fall blockbuster.
- This KUSA Channel 9 piece contains one of our favorite slideshows. Check out the wonderful gallery shots and behind-the-scenes images.
- This Rocky Mountain PBS Arts District segment is the closest thing to actually visiting Becoming Van Gogh.
- Take a journey through the exhibition with CBS4’s Greg Moody.
- We were incredibly honored that the Associated Press ran this piece worldwide.
- Susan Froyd of Westword invited viewers to Picture Vincent van Gogh as you’ve never seen him before.
- David Hill’s segment on Colorado Public Radio takes you into the exhibit.
- Timothy waxed poetically about Van Gogh (and snowboarding) with the Denver Diatribe podcast.
Image credit: Vincent van Gogh, Basket with six oranges, 1888. Oil on canvas. Private collection, courtesy of Heather James Fine Art.