The Denver Art Museum's 2014 summer calendar is jam-packed with fun for all ages. Read below for examples of ways you can enjoy yourself this summer at the DAM. And, if you're a member, all seven ideas are free.
1. Celebrate Sculpture with Summer in 3-D
Members get unlimited free general admission, so visit often this summer and help us celebrate sculpture.
- Try sculpting techniques in our daily Sculpture Studio, or watch weekend artist demonstrations like bronze pours, mold casting, wire sculpting, welding, stone carving, and more.
- Kids and families can try all new sculptural activities in the Just for Fun Center and throughout the galleries at Create-n-Take stations. Be sure to pick up a Summer in 3-D: Sculpture Adventure for Families guide at a museum welcome center. Check out each fun location and after you’re done exploring, stop by the new Shop in the North Building for a special gift to create your own 3-D art at home.
- Play with custom cast “asteroids” to create otherworldly soundscapes in the installation V3H1CL3 by artist Jason Rogenes, located on level 2 of the Hamilton Building.
- Share summer memories and add to the interactive installation on Martin Plaza.
2. See New Exhibitions
New exhibitions and selections from the permanent collection are going on view almost every week through mid-July. Your membership gives you free access.
- The American West in Bronze, 1850–1925 (Through August 31). Plus, members get an audio guide for free (a $2 value).
- First Glance~Second Look: Quilts from the Denver Art Museum Collection (Opens June 1)
- Photography & Vision: The Influence of Joyce and Ted Strauss (Opens June 8)
- Daniel Sprick’s Fictions: Recent Works (Opens June 29)
- At the Mirror: Reflections of Japan in 20th Century Prints (Opens July 6)
- Beyond Pop Art: A Tom Wesselmann Retrospective (Opens July 13). Plus, members can see it first at a special preview on July 12 - see below for details!
3. Attend the Members’ Preview on July 12
Be the first to see Beyond Pop Art: A Tom Wesselmann Retrospective during a members-only preview on Saturday, July 12 from 10 am-5 pm (no RSVP required).
4. Stretch your Creative Muscles
Drop in for a mid-day, mid-week creative exercise for adults! Included with general admission (free for members).
Drop-in Drawing (second Tuesdays, 1–3pm)
- June 10: Symbols of the West
- July 8: Plein-Air Painting
- August 12: 2-D and 3-D Elements
Drop-in Writing (fourth Tuesdays, 1–3pm)
- June 24: Haiku and Other Asian Forms
- July 22: Writing the West
- August 26: Character and Action
5. Go on Summer Vacation
Don’t forget to pack your membership card. DAM membership at the Sustaining level and higher gives you reciprocal admission to more than 70 museums across the country.
Not a Sustaining member, yet? You can upgrade your membership at any time by calling 720-913-0130 or visiting a welcome center at the museum.
6. Visit on a Friday Night
Impress your sweetie-Plan a date night at the museum. We’re open until 8 pm on Friday nights (and until 10 pm on final Fridays, January–October).
- New Romance: Use one of your guest passes to treat your date to free general admission.
- True Love: Membership at the Dual and Family levels admit two adult cardholders.
- Double Date: Membership at the Sustaining level and above allows you to bring multiple guests for free general admission. Learn more on our membership benefits page.
Try something new each final Friday-Meet up with creative friends at Untitled. Join in on artmaking activities, demonstrations, performances, and unexpected fun on the final Friday of each month (January–October) from 6–10 pm. Included with general admission (free for members).
7. Take an Architecture, Collection Highlights, or Nooner Tour
Have you ever wondered about the design inspiration for the Hamilton Building? Curious about notable objects in the collection? Take a tour to gain new insight. Plus, Nooner Tours will keep you coming back for more with a different topic every week! Included in general admission (free for members).
If you’d like to learn more, visit the membership benefits page, check out the calendar of upcoming events, or speak with a membership associate at 720-913-0130 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.